couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: History Proposal
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:13:39 GMT
I'm interested in this improvement. I'm not confident I can produce
the patch on my own but would happily work with others.

As I just noted on IRC, I'd see a few features that could come from
this (namely, adding another btree for attachment digests).

Firstly, I'd suggest it's md5 as damien already added that with the
deterministic revs patch. But, given that, we could make an attachment
upload with a Content-MD5 header return a successful status code
without transferring the request body. This might have security
implications so might need to be a toggle. However, it would allow the
disk saving to occur pre-compaction, where otherwise it would only
help afterward. The other advantage to having md5's in general is the
ability to verify that the sent Content-MD5 header matches the bytes
receives. S3 already does this, fwiw.

If there's further interest in this perhaps it needs its own thread?