couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: contrib files, svn layout
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:28:00 GMT

On Aug 23, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 07:08:00PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> Locally, I've put them under `svnroot/couchdb/contrib/scripts` but
>> I can
>> see an argument for not putting them into the source tree. Maybe
>> `svnroot/contrib/trunk` is a better place (starting a new layout
>> where
>> projects "next to" CouchDB live in parallel directories in SVN.
>
> A contrib directory is usually reserved for user modules that have
> been included
> from external sources. I would vote for putting them under couchdb/
> trunk/tools
> or couchdb/trunk/dev or something similar.
>
> Best,
>
> --

A contribs directory as part of the distribution can become a dumping
ground of obsolete code that no one can support.  But once it is in
the distribution, you can feel compelled to never remove it since
someone perhaps might depend on it.

I had mentioned having a sandbox or labs directory as a place for
collaborative development on experimental features or anything that
isn't ready for the trunk.

Stuff that might be useful, but that we can't support and don't intend
to develop further could go in couchdb/attic.

Once we have specific stuff that is worthy for release, hopefully it
would then become obvious whether it should go in the trunk, or
whether it fits in as a separate plugin or feature distributed
separately from the main release or packaged with other things into a
tools, examples or other companion to couchdb .