couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Uneasiness with use of github for experimentation
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:24:51 GMT
While I'm bringing up contentious issues, use of github for a sandbox
for developing significant modifications to CouchDB makes me uneasy.
If I start something on github and accept contributions and ideas from
other uses, I can't represent the eventual patch as my original work
(as required by the CLA).  Also, it reduces the visibility (barring an
explicit opt-in) of the development from the radar of the PMC and
community.  Other ASF projects have created "sandboxes" in their SVN
for experimental work and the threshold for commit access to the
sandbox could be lower than the trunk (still would require CLA and an
Apache account).  Any Apache committer could use Apache Labs, but
since that is not developed with the oversight of the community that
still needs a pass through the Incubator.  Having a sandbox or labs
branch in the CouchDB SVN would provide a location for non-trunk
development that is still under the oversight of the PMC and community.