couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache sub-projects
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:21:47 GMT
Hi dev@,

Chris, thanks for bobsledding this :)

--

I'd welcome all three projects as sub-projects. I'd also throw in Futon
to become a sub project, too. My understanding of a sub-project
is this:

  - The development community between the main project and the
sub project should be overlapping significantly.

  - Everybody in the main project's committer list gets to commit
to all projects.

  - The main project's PMC oversees releases of all projects.

  - Technically, a new release of the main project should be followed
by compatible releases of sub projects.

I think we're at a scale where we can keep this all in the CouchDB
project.

My experience with branching out sub-projects into separate groups
comes from the PHP community (no flames please) where extensions
to PHP were divided into "core" extensions and "PECL" extensions.
PECL being an extension development and distribution project
independent of the PHP core. Core extensions are maintained and
kept up to date with the core project, PECL extensions have their
own schedule and the individual authors are responsible for updates
in time for new PHP releases. This structure was introduced with
over 100 extensions being in core PHP and way over 1000
committers to the project (one of the cases where documenters got
a separate VCS module to work with). This proved to be good for
the timely release of PHP releases as core developers have
significantly less extensions to take care of.

In a project as big as PHP, this makes sense and was needed
badly. CouchDB is not that big yet. I'd say let's figure out how
to incorporate sub projects into our subversion tree (e.g.
couchdb/trunk is couchdb-trunk, where do sub projects go?
couchdb/projects/...?) and how to make releases (separate or
bundled with CouchDB, Futon e.g. could be bundled and
couchdb-lucene a separate package) and worry about splitting
out independent sub projects when when the need arises.

Rehashing the above points for the proposed projects:

Futon:

  - The developers are currently the CouchDB committers and we
    got contributions small and big from users through patches.

  - A future Futon-only developer doesn't necessarily have to know
    any Erlang and I'd trust her to not touch that part of the code
    until everybody feeling comfortable with this. (Besides, Erlang is
    so simple on the couch_http_*-end that small fixes in the HTTP
    API could be done without much hassle). And we're using SVN,
    if any unwanted changes, accidental or deliberate are introduced,
    we'll revert them.

  - Futon always has to be current with CouchDB, even through
    trunk-only development phases. Splitting this out to a separate
    schedule doesn't make much sense to me.

  - Working on Futon is a great way for new developers to get into
    CouchDB via simpler, more familiar means (web development).

couchdb-lucene:

  - CouchDB greatly benefits from an officially endorsed Lucene
    integration plugin. This is prone to bikeshedding and
    unnecessary for users to implement all over again and again.

  - A future couchdb-lucene developer doesn't necessarily have to
    know any Erlang and I'd trust her to not touch that part of the
    code until everybody feeling comfortable with this.

  - The CouchDB PMC doesn't have much love for Java. We'd
    need to overcome our differences to be able to support
    releases. I'm confident we can do this.

  - The plugin API is relatively stable, but improvements on the
    CouchDB end are ongoing. Having stable releases alongside
    CouchDB releases are desirable. However, technically, we
    are not bound to hold a CouchDB release if couchdb-lucene
    is not ready yet, we can always make a later release. Our
    users will apply the necessary pressure if they need synched
    releases. couchdb-lucene wouldn't have to part of the standard
    CouchDB release tarball. It could however (`./configure
    --with-couchdb-lucene`) in which case a CouchDB release
    could be blocked by a couchdb-lucene release. The PMC
    has to decide on the route. To get going, I propose to start
    with separated release tarballs.

  - Working on couchdb-lucene is a great way for new developers
    to get into CouchDB more familiar means (Java).

couchdb-lounge:

  (see couchdb-lucene =~ s/ucene/ounge/g)

  - Porting couchdb-lounge to Erlang and obsoleting the plugin
    step-by-step sounds like a good solution.

CouchApp:

   (see Futon =~ s/Futon/CouchApp/g).

In addition: The couchdb-lounge and CouchApp developers
(Benoit and Robert) have been contributing to CouchDB via
patches in the past and I'd be confident to have them as
CouchDB committers anyway.

--

Next steps:

  - Figure out how to host sub-projects both bundled (Futon)
    and unbundled (couchdb-lucene) and how to accommodate
    them in SVN and the build system (if applicable).

  - Prepare PMC votes to integrate the sources.

  - On success, prepare IP-clearance through the incubator.

  - PMC vote on accepting the existing committers as CouchDB
    committers.

  - Relax.

Cheers
Jan