couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: src/erlang-oauth appears to be missing attribution, incubator clearance
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 12:42:21 GMT

On Aug 5, 2009, at 4:48 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 5 Aug 2009, at 07:04, Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> Also, we're a TLP now! Hehe.
>
> I'm researching the steps needed to land another code-base in
> CouchDB that was developed externally. After consulting with ASF
> members, the consensus is that code drops need to be IP-cleared by
> the incubator. This is separate from running a project through
> incubation. The incubator is simply the place where the most people
> are knowledgeable about IP issues and is defined as the place to
> record IP clearance.
>
> I don't know if reverting is really necessary in the current case,
> but for the future we should follow the standard ASF practice.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

IP clearance through the Incubator PMC is required for all externally
developed code bases: http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
.

3rd Party policy: http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party

On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:04 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> The license is an MIT license:
>
>  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
>
> Which is a Category A license:
>
>  http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
>
> Which means we don't have to clear it explicitly.

Generally when Apache projects use open-source code with compatible
licenses, they don't insert the code base into the Apache SVN and
redistribute a fork. Dumping substantial non-ASL'd sources into the
SVN is quite atypical.

If erlang-oauth is the only part of the contribution that is not an
original work, then I'd recommend removing it from the SVN until we
get this resolved.  My understanding is that couch_http_oauth would
still compile, just would fail to load if erlang-oauth were not
available.

I did a quick scan of my local archive of the incubator mailing list
and didn't see much discussion on CouchDB's inclusion of other source
code except for this fragment of the April 2008 board report which
indicates that the direction was to remove forked code from CouchDB
itself, not add more.

On Apr 14, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> === CouchDB ===
>
> CouchDB is a distributed document-oriented database system written in
> Erlang. The project entered incubation on February 12th, 2008.
>
> The infrastructure (SVN, JIRA, mailing lists, and web-site) has been
> set up,
> and the team has moved source, documentation, and bug reports from
> their
> former homes to the ASF.
>
> Work has continued on removing code forked from other projects from
> the
> CouchDB codebase. This includes Mozilla !SpiderMonkey, the code for
> which
> was previously included with CouchDB in slightly modified form.
> Instead, it
> is now treated as an external compile-time dependency via a custom C
> wrapper
> using the !SpiderMonkey API. Also, work is currently in progress on
> replacing the dependency on a forked version of `inets`, which is
> part of
> the Erlang standard library (EPL), with the MIT-licensed !MochiWeb
> library.
> For the time being, the !MochiWeb code is included in the CouchDB
> codebase,
> mostly because there has been no official release of that library yet.

I don't think this can be ignored and we can do it right the next time
and the situation is atypical enough that Incubator PMC guidance is
warranted.

p.s.: No reason you should know, but I'm an ASF member too.