couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache sub-projects
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:32:52 GMT
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 04:11:59PM -0700, Chris Anderson wrote:
> It's encouraging that even without explicit code to deal with
> clusters, people have been able to run large reliable clusters.
> CouchDB can only get better at clustering from here. I think it's
> important that in the near-term, the practice of running a 100-node
> CouchDB is well known and easy for people to boot up and run and get
> comfortable with.
>
> On the other hand, we're trying to compress the entire application
> into a few MB so it can run in browsers and smartphones. It's
> legitimate to want to deploy CouchDB in these environments as well. A
> mobile phone has no need to run a hundred-node partitioned cluster of
> CouchDBs. However, there's some awesome stuff it could do if it ran
> the CouchDB we have now. I'm just trying to preserve that option.

Sure, but I think your original wording polarised the goals of the project.

Perhaps it would be sufficient to say that we want to build a system that is
flexible enough to be deployed on anything from embedded devices, mobile phones,
workstations, or massively distributed server clusters.

And on that note, why would we want to keep lounge out of the core? I'm sure we
have enough brains between us to figure out how to package our software so that
it can shrink or expand based on the needs of the local sysadmin.

Best,