couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache sub-projects
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 17:19:12 GMT
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 09:55:34AM -0700, Chris Anderson wrote:
> I generally agree with those principles, although I think we can get
> away with being informal about them at least at first.

Creating a project as a sub-project of Apache CouchDB is a necessarily formal
affair, and on that we can't easily go back on without a lot of pain. Blessing
something as a sub-project will have massive implications for the community
around it, and around CouchDB proper.

While I think there is some obvious value to be found here, like with Django, I
think that we need to think about this seriously before we accept any projects.
If if we decide on a criteria for inclusion at some future point, that excludes
some existing sub-projects because we were in a rush to add them, then we are
going to have a bit of an awkward problem on our hands.

Does the ASF have any guidelines for this?

Is there any ASF lore that we can fall back on for guidance here?

Thanks,