couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Maven/Maven repo (Re: Dependencies in SVN)
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:35:49 GMT
On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 09:30:19PM -0700, Chris Anderson wrote:
> I'd be comfortable with the remedy of working with our upstream
> projects to absorb any patches we have outstanding. In the long run,
> once we have all our patches cleaned up, we could look at satisfying
> our dependencies using some curl shell scripts to download mochiweb,
> ibrowse, etc from a repository.

Remedy for what? What actual problem does this solve?

  Speaking from a legal perspective, there is nothing "at Apache" that
  prevents people for doing source code copy, in small or large (a.k.a forks),
  PROVIDED that the license allows it. I saw you mentioning BSD (modified I
  hope) and MIT X, and those licenses require attribution and few other
  things, so if that is done, there is no legal contention here. Now you said
  that Apache doesn't fork... well the reason behind that (I think) is that we
  are all lazy, it takes a lot of energy to maintain forks. And we don't do it
  to compete with the original project, out of courtesy... is that your
  complaint?

  - http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200908.mbox/<caf30e2a0908090354t616809fcu9d59858e59a47918@mail.gmail.com>

We already have a vendor directory to help us manage external code bases, and as
long as we are prepared to continue using that properly, I don't understand what
problem this would be a remedy for.

Best,