couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Maven/Maven repo (Re: Dependencies in SVN)
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:31:12 GMT
On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 10:39:09PM -0500, Curt Arnold wrote:
> The ASF develops and distributes code licensed under the ASL.  An ASF
> project can depend on software written on other licenses, but
> distributing or developing software under different licenses is
> somewhere between atypical and prohibited.  I think any exception would
> have to be granted by the board.

Judging by the response you had on the Incubator list, it seems odd that you're
saying that it is prohibited. The rational given was that as long as the license
was compatible, there was no other problem than our project being committed
enough to maintain our local version of the software.

> One possibly resolution to the current situation is to remove the code
> from the distribution and from the source and have the user obtain the
> dependencies from an outside repository in a similar manner to the
> method that libmozjs which had once been in the source in a branched
> version but is now obtained through the a package manager.

Given the above, and providing we continue to make proper use of our vendor
directory, I don't see any harm in continuing to ship our local versions of
these libraries. At least until Erlang gets a popular package management system
that we can start to use. Until then, I am now of the opinion that we would be
needlessly causing trouble for our users.

> For CouchDB's immediate needs, all that might be necessary is to get mochiweb,
> ibrowse and erlang_oauth into Maven Central and then provide a means for the
> end-user to pull the releases from the Maven repo with minimal effort.

Immediate needs?

I don't think we have any immediate needs to remove this stuff.

Thanks,