couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Website redesign
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:27:10 GMT
On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 03:35:34PM +0200, maddiin wrote:
>    * darkened the page background, so your eyes will hopefully be less
>      distracted from the content

Cool.

>    * added background color to section headers

I think I preferred it when all the headers were that redish colour.

>    * did something to the navigation bar

Cool.

>    * and removed the search link from the navigation bar
>          o maybe add a search box to the top right of the header?

Does anyone use site search any more? Google FTW. Heh.

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 09:59:38AM -0400, Damien Katz wrote:
> I like it except for the "Time to relax" in the logo.

After seeing it, I think I agree.

After having used it in the IRC topic for so many years, I wanted to see if we
could get it on the website as the project strapline. Maybe it would work if it
was right-aligned as in the header instead?

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 08:35:33AM -0700, Chris Anderson wrote:
> Agreed, we should avoid changing our logo / word mark.

Why? Brand evolution is healthy when done with care!

> Also, I think I'm partial to the old darker colors. They seem a little
> more serious...

I always thought they looked boring. Heh. CouchDB is sexy! (Oh man, did I just
describe a database as sexy?) The lighter colours are more complementary with
Futon, which I think is a nice direction.

> But also this design makes me realize that we should work on bringing
> the content up to date not just the layout.

Yes, I think this could be the next area to focus on. We've come a long, long
way since we first did this website, and we would do well to re-align our
website with our current status and the project goals.

Reminds me off this essay:

  Thus, the differences between Redesigners and Realigners might be summarized
  as follows: The desire to redesign is aesthetic-driven, while the desire to
  realign is purpose-driven. One approach seeks merely to refresh, the other
  aims to fully reposition and may or may not include a full refresh. (Note that
  by “reposition,” I mean strategy and not physical location or dimensions.)

                            - http://www.alistapart.com/articles/redesignrealign

Best,