couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: History Proposal
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 10:25:11 GMT
On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 02:13:39PM +0100, Robert Newson wrote:
> Firstly, I'd suggest it's md5 as damien already added that with the
> deterministic revs patch.

But if we use SHA1, then it works as a git repository too :-)

> But, given that, we could make an attachment
> upload with a Content-MD5 header return a successful status code
> without transferring the request body.

That would depend on the client providing an Expect: 100-continue header to
allow the server to gracefully decline the body, rather than drop the
connection on the floor.

I guess if you're going to do bypass content uploading, Content-MD5 is the
only possible header to use (Etag is a response header only AFAICS). But it
could just be done on a URL parameter, e.g.

   PUT /mydb/mydoc/attach1?sha1=da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709

Regards,

Brian.