couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: History Proposal
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 09:56:57 GMT
On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 06:21:34PM +0100, Jason Davies wrote:
> Comments welcomed!

ISTM that the "historical" versions are already stored, so why duplicate
them in the form of an attachment to a new version? And what about
historical versions of attachments anyway?

Wouldn't it be simpler to:

- keep the historical versions by _rev as they are now

- somehow mark these historical versions as worth keeping or not
  (could be as simple as reusing the _deleted flag)

- make the "worth keeping" versions survive compaction

Then when you PUT a document, you'd have two options: apply the _deleted
flag automatically to the old revision, or not. This could be chosen by URL
parameter perhaps.

Some views might want access to historical revs, but perhaps this should be
controlled by a view parameter to filter them out for views which are only
interested in the most recent one. (Incidentally, I would like views to have
access to live conflicting revs too, but that's a separate issue)

Regards,

Brian.

P.S. You don't want to have multiple copies of attachments, so they would
need to be stored in shared form (e.g. indexed by SHA1) - I don't know if
this is done already.