couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project description
Date Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:50:59 GMT
On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 11:18:30PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> CouchDB has a lot of features that are not in that list. I don't think
> non-JS view server language implementations are "A-list" features.
> Besides, the current statement is too easy to falsify.

Good point.

Maybe we could mention Futon?

Okay, how about the following replacement:

   Apache CouchDB is a document-oriented database with incremental replication
   with bi-directional conflict resolution that can be queried and indexed in
   a MapReduce style using JavaScript.

   CouchDB provides a RESTful JSON API than can be accessed from any environment
   that allows HTTP requests. There are myriad third-party client libraries that
   make this even easier from your programming language of choice. CouchDB's
   built in Web administration console speaks directly to the database using
   HTTP requests issued from your browser.

   CouchDB is written in Erlang, a robust functional programming language ideal
   for building concurrent distributed systems. Erlang allows for a flexible
   design that is easily scalable and readily extensible.

The (indirect) mentioning of Futon might be a bit much. Dunno.

> I'm just trying to not end up with false claims people will use against
> us or CouchDB. I appreciate the work and attention to detail you are
> (as usual) putting into this.

Flattery will get you everywhere!

Thanks,