couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Git at the ASF: (Was: Re: Uneasiness with use of github for experimentation)
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 18:38:38 GMT

On 7 Aug 2009, at 17:11, Paul Davis wrote:

>>> That said, using "Apache SVN" in an argument about providing that
>>> paper trail prevents me from considering the issue seriously. I'm a
>>> hacker. I hack. I judge my tools and I have judged SVN to be
>>> lacking.
>>> I would very be very excited to see hosted git repositories for ASF
>>> contributors and would use them exclusively to all other git hosting
>>> for my ASF development. If there were a recommendation to stop using
>>> Github as a host for development, I would just stop pushing code
>>> public. SVN sucks that bad.
>>
>> Apache Git mirrors: http://git.apache.org/
>> Git access to Apache codebases: http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html
>> Git for Apache committers: http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache
>> (scroll a bit down)
>
> Just to point out, none of those options allow someone who is not a
> committer to push code to ASF servers. I was proposing actual Git
> repositories for people to sign up and use. Then you could tie every
> submission to a user account and probably even a key/value pair for
> good measure. This would require that the ASF makes repositories
> available for everyone at much lower of a hurdle than a CLA.
>
> And on the pure development side, sharing my work with people would
> still incur the wrath of SVN branches.

I read the "I would very be very excited to see hosted git
repositories for ASF
contributors" as " ASF committers. I don't know if that was implied or
not.

In general, I don't see an issue, if the committers make sure they act
under the CLA (i.e. don't include outside patches) with us working on
Github. Contributions must go through JIRA after a Github development
has been put into an ASF SVN branch (or trunk).

Cheers,
Jan