couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Maven/Maven repo (Re: Dependencies in SVN)
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 04:17:28 GMT

On Aug 10, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Robert Dionne wrote:

>>> IP clearance is only required for code donations i.e. code that is
>>> being
>>> imported into Apache for further development.  It's not required for
>>> unmodified third-party dependencies.  Please see this e-mail [1]
>>> for more
>>> details.

I think the link that you intended to quote was:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200908.mbox/%3c9C979A19-8DC5-4E12-8BBF-342598791595@jasondavies.com%3e

I reviewed my mail archives and can see where my understanding came
from but it is from traffic on a member confidential list and was one
of several competing interpretations around in March 2008 that has
subsequently been clarified by the board.  Definitely legal-discuss is
the appropriate forum for the definitive answer.

I do not think that the question posed on legal-discuss really
describes the situation since the dependencies are not unmodified
copies of upstream release but are abridged and in the case of
mochiweb functionally modified.

However, even if abridgment and unintentional forking is acceptable, I
don't think it is ideal.