couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r797400 - /couchdb/trunk/src/couchdb/couch_httpd_db.erl
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 21:54:22 GMT
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Christopher Lenz<cmlenz@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 24.07.2009, at 14:37, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>>
>> Reading the spec  and with feedback from cmlenz on irc, I'm changing
>> my position for GET :)
>>
>> If content-length is know, I think CouchDB should send unchunked until
>> the client don't ask for specific encoding with TE in headers and http
>> version is 1.1  :
>> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.39
>
> (Background: the one thing chunked encoding gives you over "identity"
> encoding with a Content-Length header is that you can detect some kind of
> data corruptions before having consumed the entire response. Benoit noted
> that this was important to him.)
>
> I can't really figure out a nice way to have the client request chunked
> encoding. "TE: chunked; q=1" is implicit in HTTP/1.1, so how would a client
> say: "really, I'd prefer chunked encoding"?
>
> We *could* have CouchDB use chunked encoding for attachments GETs only when
> "TE: chunked" is specified, but that'd be a proprietary hack, AFAICT.
>
> There's also "TE: trailers" to indicate that the client supports trailers in
> chunked responses. We could base the decision on that header, but that'd be
> just as much of a hack IMO.
>
> Maybe a query string parameter really is the way to go here?

Agreed with all of the above. I was just looking at that the other
day. We should switch to unchunked by default, with a Content-Length
header.

As far as retaining the ability to serve chunked, I think a query
parameter is as sane a way as any.

I'd love to see this patch come from someone else, as I've been
working on that code path a lot lately and it could use someone else's
eyes.

I think we should mark this blocking for 0.10, as it's so easy and the
? thing makes it a user-facing feature.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson