couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: History Proposal
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:42:41 GMT
2009/7/31 Jason Davies <jason@jasondavies.com>:

> The main points of this proposal are:
>
> 1. Store the historical versions of documents in a separate database.  This
> is for a number of reasons: a) keeping it separate means we don't clog up
> the main database with historical data b) history-specific views can be kept
> here c) non-intrusive implementation of this is easier.
> 2. The change will be made at the couch_db layer so that *any* change to any
> document in the target database will be mirrored to the history database.

seem good.

> 3. Each and every change to a document will result in a new document being
> created in the history database (with a new ID) containing an exact copy of
> that document e.g. {_id: <new ID>, doc: <exact copy of doc> }.
How would you handle case of attachements ? If attachements are copied
for each revision of a doc, it would take a lot of place. Maybe
storing attachements in their own doc could be solution though. So
storing a revision would be

store attachements in differents docs
create a doc  {_id: <id>, doc: <doc>, attachments: [<id1>, ...]}

attachements will be tests across revisions depending of their signature
if signature change, a new atatchment doc is created.

Just a thought anyway.

> 4. Adding meta-data to changes can be handled by a custom _update handler
> (yet to be developed) to set fields such as "last_modified" and
> "last_modified_user".

why not adding date metadata when storing revision . The obvious one I
mean userCtx, and date?

> One use case we'd like to support is effectively (from the point of the
> user) being able to "roll back" a view to a specific point in time, but how
> this would look in the history database has me stumped so far.  Rolling back
> a specific doc is easy, but multiple docs, not so easy it seems.  Any
> suggestions welcome!

rolling back could be handled on a view based on date in history database ?

- benoit