couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From kowsik <kow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RIP Temp Views?
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:29:14 GMT
I like temp views. It was how I got started with couch as it was easy
to experiment with the knowledge that it was going to be slow for
large documents. It's possible in Futon to have a warning message (big
bold blinking red font) that indicates that this is for
experimentation and not for production use. Part of the problem is
Futon UI doesn't tell the user about temp views.

On a related note, why not spend more dev cycles parallelizing the
view server to harness multiple cores to the point even the temp views
scale better? I've been on this forum for a while now and until Brian
recently published some concrete performance benchmarks there really
haven't been much discussions (that I'm aware of) about raw couchdb
view server speed (using chrome, tracemonkey, etc).

As we are just approaching 0.10, I do understand that need to focus on
replication, couch apps, ease of use, RESTful-ness and all the rest,
while the "core" part (IMHO) has somewhat been deprioritized. This is
just my observation based on the threads of discussion here.

2 cents,

K.