couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: View Performance (was Re: The 1.0 Thread)
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 17:29:58 GMT

On Jul 2, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Jason Davies wrote:

> On 2 Jul 2009, at 15:38, Brian Candler wrote:
>
>> For some fruit that was so low-hanging that I nearly stubbed my toe
>> on it,
>> see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-399
>

> Nice work!  I'd be interested to see what kind of performance
> increase we get from Spidermonkey 1.8.1, which comes with native
> JSON parsing/encoding.  See here for details: https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Using_native_JSON

>  .
>
> Rumour has it 1.8.1 will be released any time soon (TM)

I'm not sure the new engine is such a no-brainer. One thing about the
new generation of JS VMs is we've seen greatly increased memory usage
with earlier versions. Also the startup times might be longer, or
shorter.

Though I wonder if this can be improved by forking a JS process rather
than spawning a new process.

-Damien