couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hammond <skippy.hamm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RIP Temp Views?
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 02:11:34 GMT
On 16/07/2009 1:57 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> A feature I am not comfortable with is temp views. The approach
> renaming them with slow views didn't pan out so I'm proposing to get
> rid of them all together.

I quite like temp views, but in practice, all I'm really after is the
nice futon interface for experimentation.  As an aside, why didn't it
work out to rename them to slow views?  I can't imagine it was simply
'too much effort' but removing them completely isn't going to be similar
effort.

> Just as an example, from today's #couchdb IRC channel:
>
> …
> tahorg__ joined the chat room.
> …
> tahorg__: Hi, I'm trying couchdb and I'm having some _heavy_
> performances issue
> jan____: don't use temp views
> …
>
> Down the road, it was temp views. q.e.d.

I'd kinda assumed that most people experiencing performance issues with
temp views were using them from futon.  I'm obviously unsure about the
conversation you refer to, but I see 2 possibilities:

* They are using futon - so removing temp views but replacing them with
something different-but-the-same in futon might lead to the same
perceptions.

* They are using the API - in which case a rename to slow-views would
seem to address that problem.

> Here is how we can keep temp view behaviour without temp views:
> Take a JavaScript implementation and put it into jquery,couch.js
> that acts as a replication endpoint for a real CouchDB and calculates
> results based on the user-provided map- and reduce-functions.

How would that work for non-js query servers?

Cheers,

Mark