couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From eric casteleijn <eric.castele...@canonical.com>
Subject Re: "Personal" Couch DB.
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2009 19:56:49 GMT
thadguidry@gmail.com wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I like the idea of OAuth incorporated down the line.
>
> Also, It seems as if Brian and yourself are talking more in general
> about a Multi-Tenancy environment within a single CouchDB or is it not
> as grand of an idea yet ? ( "Are we there yet?" )

I am not sure that multi-tenancy is exactly what we're aiming for, or
even that couchdb itself neatly fits into that terminology, but I'll try
to describe what we are thinking of doing with couchdb:

Our use case is to have a single couchdb server per user, and
(potentially) many databases for that user within each such server. They
will be running on the end user's system.

We intend to replicate all of this data between the cloud and all of a
user's registered machines, but only as a means of backup, universal
accessibility (i.e. from the user's work computer and potentially
through the web.) and as a means of sharing pieces of data with other
users of the service.

If I understand multi-tenancy correctly, that would mean leasing out
couch instances on our hardware, which is only half the story at best:

I think it's important to stress that *all* the data that is in the
cloud couch instance will be in the users desktop instance as well, and
they are free to do what they want with it.

In fact they will be able to use the same software to replicate between
computers on their LAN if they do not choose to use our online service
at all, or keep using it without any data loss when they decide to stop
using it.

--
- eric casteleijn
http://www.canonical.com