couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Will Hartung <wi...@mirthcorp.com>
Subject Re: RIP Temp Views?
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:03:35 GMT
I like the idea of getting rid of them. If they can be "emulated"
within Futon, then so much the better.

The only thing I could suggest is simply providing tooling to make it
easy for folks to create sub sets of existing DBs. That way it's
straightforward to encourage development with "permanent" views, but
not to do it on production DBs, or production volumes.

The curse of the temp_view is that they persist and "work just like" a
permanent view, so on the surface folks don't see the difference (and
in development, there is, almost, no difference).

As an aside, however, a problem with emulating temp views kind of
become problematic if/when folks wish to use a different view server
than JS. Clearly, it's not practical to emulate a Erlang view server
within a JS couch implementation for development.

So, that seems to me to point even more to focusing on tooling to make
it easy and routine to create "development" databases that people can
mold and form. Or to make, say, implicit view version. (Create a view,
create it again and the old one is versioned away as view_1 or
whatever).

This ends up acting "just like" temp views, but now there's a minor
Garbage Collection phase to go through and remove the old views.

And, again, when this is done on a "throw away" instance of the DB,
it's even less of an issue.

Regards,

Will Hartung