couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r797400 - /couchdb/trunk/src/couchdb/couch_httpd_db.erl
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:33:40 GMT
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 01:48:46PM -0400, Damien Katz wrote:
> I see no good reason for a http client to request a chunked encoding,
> it's easier and more efficient to deal with a content length than it is
> to parse out chunk segments. A good reason send a chunked encoding is it
> allows a Content-MD5 trailer to be computed on-the-fly. But I don't think
> we need to support the browser requesting a chunked encoding.

I've been following an interesting thread on the Content-MD5 header:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009JulSep/thread.html#msg350

A select quote:

  > After a quick look, my reading is that a Content-MD5 header on a
  > partial response reflects the bytes in that message, rather than the
  > whole (non-partial) response:

  RFC2616 can apparently be read both ways depending on which parts of the
  specs you read, which is a bit of a problem for Content-MD5.

         - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009JulSep/0277.html

Best,