couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.9.1 release, second round
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2009 04:49:31 GMT
On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 11:10:33PM -0500, Curt Arnold wrote:
>>> Is anybody able to confirm that they can reproduce the build (minus any
>>> unavoidable timestamp differences)?
>>
>> Reproduce the build? Eh? Why does that matter?
>>

> Checking that an independent party can reproduce the release helps ensures
> that a security fix release can be prepared if the need arises and that all
> the files needed to produce the build are actually in the Subversion repo and
> not just on the release manager's machine. Just a good sanity check

I'm a little confused by this, and why it's suddenly come up.

How would one check that one could reproduce the build when the binary files
will be different due to time-stamps and other vagaries of the build host. As
part of our incubation process, I thought that we would have aptly demonstrated
that CouchDB builds properly out of the repository.

For the record, anyone with the correct tools can build the release.

Best,