couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: changing branch commit merge block procedure
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 23:11:02 GMT
You all can probably guess that I'm not a big fan of the current block/
merge workflow.  As CouchDB matures I can imagine situations where
we'll need to backport a fix to multiple stable branches.  Blocking
commits from all those branches will introduce more noise than signal
in my opinion (if it doesn't already).

I think we can trust each other to "raise the alarm" whenever we've
committed a fix that seems like a candidate for backporting.  I also
think that these bugfix releases ought to come out sooner rather than
later, e.g. we cut a new minor release, wait a few weeks for feedback
from the community, and then if necessary deliver a bugfix release.

On a minor note, I also believe we ought to revise the template commit
message for merges.  Right now the 0.9.x log is mostly a long list of
"blocking/merging r7.... from trunk".  It's not very informative.

Best, Adam