couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Personal" Couch DB.
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 22:52:08 GMT

On 25 Jun 2009, at 21:15, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 07:55:36AM -0400, Elliot Murphy wrote:
>> In fact, this effort to run a CouchDB for every single user account
>> on a
>> computer
>
> Interesting. A few questions:
>
> (1) What stops user A from accessing user B's data? Will this be
> done with
> HTTP authentication?

ipfilter & HTTP auth. Canonical likes the OAuth for that.

> Perhaps in this context it might make more sense to use a Unix domain
> socket, but then again, nobody talks HTTP over those :-(

It's sorta not supported by Erlang last time I looked :/

> (2) Is the per-user Erlang/CouchDB process going to be started when
> the user
> logs into the graphical desktop (gdm/kdm?)

> What about having a single system-wide CouchDB instance instead of
> spawning
> a new Erlang VM for each user? Then at least, if I log into my home
> machine
> via ssh (while not logged into the console), the service would still
> be
> there.

I'd +1 that too, but I'd also think, that the CouchDB instance could
be available
when not using the graphical UI. But that's not really CouchDB's
concern, but
something you could bring to the Canonical's folks attention :)

Cheers
Jan