couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compiler warnings
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 09:50:05 GMT

On 25 Jun 2009, at 06:07, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Michael
> McDaniel<couchdby@autosys.us> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:11:51AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>>> I've gotten tired of looking at compiler warnings when compiling
>>> CouchDB but I figure I'd better ping the list before going through
>>> and
>>> just updating everything.
>>>
>>> For reference almost all the errors are about the deprecated regexp
>>> module and deprecated guards.
>>>
>>> The guards look to pretty much be guard -> is_guard type changes.
>>> the
>>> is_guard style guards are old enough to be In the Programming Erlang
>>> book so I'm fairly certain they've been around in any version of
>>> Erlang that people are using. The only snag is that I'd be patching
>>> both ibrowse and mochiweb downstream if I just edited them in SVN,
>>> so
>>> I'd like thoughts on that.

You can provide patches to these projects and see if they get
accepted. If they
do, we update our vendor copies. If not, we need to decide if we want to
maintain a patch set (-1).

I'd not start out maintaining the patch set.

>>> As to the regexp -> re module, does anyone know when re made it into
>>> the stdlib? This one actually worries me a bit that if I update the
>>> code I'll need to update the Erlang version requirement. Though I
>>> heard re has been around since R11 or something, so I'm not sure. It
>>> looks like we're requiring R12B (5.6.0) of Erlang, does anyone have
>>> that version and can check if the re module exists?
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>   R12B-3 has re module in the docs, R12B-2 does not
>>   5.6.3                             5.6.2
>>
>>   http://erlang.org/documentation.html
>>
>> ~M
>>

> Note to self: Old erlang docs are online. :)
>

> So new question, anyone have an issue with bumping the Erlang
> requirement to at least 5.6.3 (from 5.6.0)?

Go for 5.6.4 at least so we catch the fsync() issue that got fixed
there.

Cheers
Jan