couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The 1.0 Thread
Date Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:40:35 GMT

On 22/06/2009, at 7:26 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> Also +lots on deterministic revisions. As a side note, we've been
> worrying a bit about how to calculate the revision id's in the face of
> JSON differences in clients. I make a motion that we just stop caring
> and define how we calculate the signature. Ie, instead of calling it
> canonical JSON just call it, "The CouchDB deterministic revision
> algorithm" or some such. Then we can feel free to punt on any of the
> awesome issues we'd run into with a full canonical JSON standard.

I haven't seen the recent discussions about canonicalisation, but IMO
a minimum requirement is that the infoset <-> serialisation mapping
must be 1:1, which requires completeness and prescription. Doing
unicode normalisation (NFC probably) is IMO also an absolute
requirement - it's virtually impossible to construct documents by hand
with repeatable results without it.

Unicode normalisation is an issue for clients because it requires they
have access to a Unicode NFC function.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

It is as useless to argue with those who have renounced the use of
reason as to administer medication to the dead.
   -- Thomas Jefferson