couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Freddy Bowen <frederick.bo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unicode normalization (was Re: The 1.0 Thread)
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:18:53 GMT
On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:

>>  But it still is specific to the version of CouchDB and it's dependencies
>>> (version of Erlang, version of ICU, etc). It usually be the same across
>>> versions, but is not guaranteed.
>>>

>> If we're doing content hashing, why would this matter?
>>

> Because we don't have a formal canonical format, so we aren't even trying.
> We'll be hashing whatever representation we have in-memory, and that could
> change version to version.

It concerns me that replicating partners with a differing versions of
CouchDB or any dependencies (ie. minor version differences?) could generate
different rev hashes of identical content.  I am ignorant as to how
different versions would actually affect in-memory representations so I
don't know if this is actually a concern or more like a footnoted
possibility.  Does this strike anybody else as potentially bad?

-FB