couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hsu <p...@abaca.com>
Subject RE: The 1.0 Thread
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:52:28 GMT
Scott - I don't know the details of your application.  What we tend to do with our couch-backed
app is rely on stale=ok for user-facing views.  We then run a cron to update the view so that
users will never get really stale data.  This is acceptable for our application, and may be
for yours?

+1 on view performance
+1 on erlang view server
+1 on consolidating multiple views

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Shumaker [mailto:sshumaker@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:29 AM
To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: The 1.0 Thread

+3 on view performance (our team).  :)

It's a real problem for our application (currently in private alpha).
Right now, we're doing what we can to speed things up - we only have
40k documents in the database, but since so many of the views are user
facing, we find that views  often time out on the client side, causing
a broken webpage.  And adding a very simple new view takes on the
order of 8-10 minutes to run.  And to make matters worse, when there's
one new view, all the other views in the system (which should be
mostly up to date) bog down, as if they're waiting for the new view to
finish.  So it means every time we deploy we have to take the site
down for a while.  Last week a  push forced us to bring the site down
for 2 hours while couch reindexed.

We're in the middle of moving documents to different databases to try
to mitigate this problem, but the view performance is so awful that I
can only imagine there's some pretty low hanging fruit in terms of
performance.  As a comparison, we have a custom search server that
pulls docs from couchdb (using all_docs_by_seq), generating internal
searchable structures, and it is way faster to start up than it takes
to index a new view.