couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unicode normalization (was Re: The 1.0 Thread)
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:43:50 GMT
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:38:51AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> As I read the original email about Content-MD5 is that they are
> specifically *not* for document revisions because then we'd have to do
> canonicalization.

I thought the whole point was to replace the current revision code with MD5
hashes so that the document revisions are deterministic. If we cant do this,
what is the point of this whole exercise?

> But the RFC specifically states that the Content-MD5 is applied to the
> canonical version.

This tripped me up at first too. The RFC is talking about the MIME canonical
version. If you re-read, you'll see that this is about newline normalisation,
and other sundry details of the transport encoding.

Best,