couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: "Personal" Couch DB.
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:15:04 GMT
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 07:55:36AM -0400, Elliot Murphy wrote:
> In fact, this effort to run a CouchDB for every single user account on a
> computer

Interesting. A few questions:

(1) What stops user A from accessing user B's data? Will this be done with
HTTP authentication?

Perhaps in this context it might make more sense to use a Unix domain
socket, but then again, nobody talks HTTP over those :-(

(2) Is the per-user Erlang/CouchDB process going to be started when the user
logs into the graphical desktop (gdm/kdm?)

What about having a single system-wide CouchDB instance instead of spawning
a new Erlang VM for each user? Then at least, if I log into my home machine
via ssh (while not logged into the console), the service would still be
there.

Regards,

Brian.