couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Unicode normalization (was Re: The 1.0 Thread)
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:44:45 GMT
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 05:46:52PM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 09:26:23AM +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
> > As an aside: I support that subtly different encodings of the "same"
> > document (according to NFC) should have different revs, because (a) it's
> > unlikely that multiple different client implementations will be making the
> > same changes to the same documents (i.e. the clients in a cluster are likely
> > to be homogeneous), and (b) such conflicts are easy to resolve anyway.
>
> Clients on the Web are anything but homogeneous!

True. I was thinking more of the three-tier architecture, where the middle
layer is scaled horizontally, and consists of identical nodes.

For the two-tier "Couchapp" type application, where each client is a
completely independent user, it seems less likely to me that two different
users would make exactly the same overlapping edit to the same document. Not
impossible of course. Maybe some Couchapps will have extensive
conflict-resolution algorithms written in Javascript and running inside
browsers. I'd hate to have to do that myself :-)

The idea of fully-trusted clients, with all business logic running in the
client, scares me. You may as well just give raw SQL connections to anyone
who wants them. I've seen client apps written that way too of course :-)