couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: stats test failure (was Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.9.1 release)
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:20:41 GMT
Well, hmmm .... fixing the counters so that /_restart actually
restarts the counters was easy enough, but now I've discovered another
bug.  The part of the stats test that fails is

couchdb.open_databases.max < 5

Let's review.  There are two types of counters in the stats module:
absolute and incremental.  For incremental counters, the mean/min/max/
stddev calculations measure the *rate of change* of the counter.  The
open_databases counter is an incremental one, so
couchdb.open_databases.max measures the rate of DB creation, not the
largest number of open DBs!  I think the test should simply be

couchdb.open_databases.current < 5

I also think this was a reason why the test suite was only failing
intermittently -- it really depended on how quickly Couch could create
new files.  We should review the tests for other cases like this at
some point.

I'm cleaning my edits up now and will check stuff in shortly.  Cheers,

Adam