couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tail Append Headers
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 05:49:30 GMT
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
> On May 20, 2009, at 11:34 AM, Damien Katz wrote:

>>> Awesome. Is there a noticeable size difference on the database files?
>>
>> It looks to take about 2x as much diskspace as without compression.
>
> Nice find.  I also see the the tail_header branch slightly faster than trunk
> with compression turned off on both, and the DB size increased by ~2x.  For
> kicks I tried turning the compression level down to 1 (default is 6 on a 1-9
> scale).  Running hovercraft:lightning() gives me
>
> compression level   insert rate     db size
> 0                   11725           16.7MB
> 1                    4186            8.2MB
> 6 (default)          3938            7.8MB

This is a really cool chart. It'd be fun to keep a metric of this over time.

I'm getting around 9k docs/sec on hovercraft:lightning() on the append
branch which is a substantial step up over trunk, which runs closer to
4.5k docs/sec.

Trunk with compression off gives me 5.5 - 6k doc/sec, so the
tail_append is clearly faster. I wonder what a compressing filesystem
would cost us in performance?

Good work on this branch Damien. I'm pretty impressed by how quickly
you put it together.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net