couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Non deterministic winner when bulk saving with all_or_nothing:true
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 20:08:42 GMT
I'm not sure this is fixable with the current architecture. The
problem are the rules used to determine the current winner are:

Is Not Deleted > has the most edits > highest revid

To force one document to be a winning conflict on another document
would require the second rule to be changed or gamed. Gaming, by
inserting a bunch of dummy revisions would cause you to either grow
you revision list or to lose earlier revisions, making spurious edits
conflict more likely. Changing the rules might work, but you have to
consider other usage scenarios.

While it is annoying behavior to have your conflict suddenly be the
loser, that can always happen in a multi-user situation no matter what
the rules are. If you try to special case it for one usage scenario,
you might negatively impact other equally valid usages. I've thought
before about have a plug-in to determine the conflict "winners", which
might be the way to go here.

-Damien