couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject permanent replications API discussion
Date Sat, 30 May 2009 20:54:39 GMT
Hi all, one of the proposed features we've had in the pipeline is the
ability to set up permanent replications between two databases.  It's
always been possible to do this with a bit of update_notification work
from a local source DB, but the new _changes API makes it possible to
set it up with a remote source.

I'm happy to implement this feature (and have done a good bit of the
groundwork already), but I'd like to talk about the configuration
API.  My first crack at this was a config block that looked like

[replications]
dbname = http://example.com/foo http://example.net/bar
http:%2F%2Fexample.com%2Fbaz = foo

the first line tells the server to push all changes to "dbname" out to
the two remote URLs. The second line tells it to listen for changes to http://example.com/baz

  and pull them into foo.  The URL is encoded so that it works with
the _config HTTP API.

On IRC Damien suggested using a special DB for replication settings
instead.  I haven't thought that much about it.

I'd like to get some feedback from others before committing anything.
Thanks, Adam