couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From eric casteleijn <eric.castele...@canonical.com>
Subject Re: couch sequence numbers and _all_docs_by_seq
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 13:54:42 GMT
>> Ok, but just so we're on the same page, I think Eric was talking about
>> using the update_seq for that document in the view (i.e., the key for
>> that document in _all_docs_by_seq), not the server's latest
>> update_seq. I don't think that usage violates any requirements of the
>> map function.

Yes that is correct.

>> Adam
>>
> I'd have to think harder on it. I'm pretty sure that you'd end up with
> the same documents and different view output depending on the node you
> were using.

I think so too: At least if that would be the case for the
_all_docs_by_seq, and I'm pretty sure it is. That is not a problem for
my use case, where we have only one particular node that will be running
the views for which I;d want to use the _seq.

> You could almost fix it by transmitting 'dead' update_seq's
> but that's a long road for the immediate question.

If I understand you correctly, that's partly what I'm doing now as a
solution to a different problem, but it's really the opposite of
elegant: To have a handle on when a document was first seen on the 'node
of interest' we have an update trigger write a sequence number (which is
approximate to the one the db was at on the when the document was first
seen there) into a 'first_seen' field. Doing the same for a
'last_modified' field would be worse, or even impossible, since writing
to that field would trigger the update trigger again.

--
- eric casteleijn
http://www.canonical.com