couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: View Filter
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 18:47:01 GMT
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 09:53:14AM -0500, Zachary Zolton wrote:
> (1) people who are storing large documents in CouchDB but not indexing them
> at all (I guess this is possible, e.g. if the doc ids are well-known or
> stored in other documents, but this isn't the most common way of working)

The proposal would exclude a document from *all* views in a particular
design doc. So you're only going to get a benefit from this if you have a
large number of documents (or a number of large documents) which are not
required to be indexed in any view in that design doc.

> I do agree, though, that only being able to filter at the design doc
> level limits the utility of view filtering.

And it's reasonable, given that (as I understand it) each document is
already only passed once to the view server, in order to be indexed by all
the views in that design document.

> Given that a design doc is
> supposed to be an application's "view" of the database, would we want
> to encourage folks to make a different design doc for each type of
> data they store in the database? My gut says "one design doc per
> application" —but I could be all mixed up!

I have been ending up with views which run across *all* the documents in a
database - for example, a generic "search" box which lets the user type in a
search term and hit any matching type of object. Having a single design
document holding all my views means that each document only needs to be sent
once to the view server.

Regards,

Brian.