couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: View Filter
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 07:43:29 GMT
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 09:41:29AM -0500, Zachary Zolton wrote:
> So, this sounds like a big win for those who like to store many
> document types in the same database with a "type descriminator" field.

... but only if all views in the same design doc are filtered by the same
set of types. That is, you can only use it to exclude documents which are
not used by *any* view. Therefore the benefit is for:

(1) people who are storing large documents in CouchDB but not indexing them
at all (I guess this is possible, e.g. if the doc ids are well-known or
stored in other documents, but this isn't the most common way of working)

(2) people who have a separate design document for each "type" of object.
They would most likely get the same or better performance benefit by having
a single design document with all their views.

I also think there are other pinch-points in view generation which need
working on, although perhaps they are not as quick wins as this one.

For example, on my old Thinkpad X30 (mobile P3 1.2GHz), I can insert a set
of 1300 documents in ~2 secs using _bulk_docs. However the first view
request (generating ~6000 keys) takes around 35 seconds to respond.

Regards,

Brian.