couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: reduce_limit error
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 21:17:19 GMT
On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 01:19:10PM -0700, Chris Anderson wrote:
> It looks like this reduce would eventually
> overwhelm the interpreter, as your set of hash keys looks like it may
> grow without bounds as it encounters more data.

As you can probably see, it's counting IP address prefixes, and it's
bounded. Even encountering all possible IPv4 prefixes (/0 to /32) and IPv6
(/0 to /128), there will be never be any more than 162 keys in the hash.

> Perhaps I'm wrong. 200 bytes is a bit small, but I'd be worried that
> with 4kb users wouldn't get a warning until they had moved a "bad"
> reduce to production data.

It's not so much a warning as a hard error :-)

> If your reduce is ok even on giant data sets, maybe you can experiment
> with the minimum value in share/server/views.js line 52 that will
> allow you to proceed.

In my case, I'm happy to turn off the checking entirely. I was just
following the request in default.ini:

; If you think you're hitting reduce_limit with a "good" reduce function,
; please let us know on the mailing list so we can fine tune the heuristic.

Regards,

Brian.