couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jurg van Vliet <jurgvanvl...@gmail.com>
Subject struggling with couchdb in production
Date Mon, 25 May 2009 19:18:01 GMT
guys and girls,

i am a 'real' user of couchdb, and i am having a lot of fun with it in
addition to creating real value! but it is far from easy, especially
in combination with a framework that is built around relational
databases like rails. and still, after 4 months of intensively working
with couchdb i am still a big fan.

but couchdb is not finished yet. and i don't mean not finished in the
sense of the software program that you can run, or the community that
is building this. what i mean is that there is no documented approach
to model real world problems in a couchdb way. you can search but the
most interesting examples are to clarify the idea, or to show that it
is possible. but nothing that helps me think about when to use a
document, when a database, when a view, etc. etc.

we have taken a couple of wrong design decisions the last couple of
months. you can call it ignorance, or hindsight, or something else. i
think it is just the lack of a good framework for thinking couchdb.

when you make your relational database model, your tables, your rows,
your indexes, etc. there is a large body of documentation that helps
you approach the problem. and even with years of practice, and people
having the word database and administrator in their jobtitle,
designing your database models is just difficult. (there are really
not many people i want to have thinking about tables and rows and

so now we have to make this paradigm shift. how are WE managing to
struggle through this?

one of my personal insights is that couchdb is so different from a
relational database that it is best approached as if it is the
opposite. in a rdb you 'minimize' the entity of information, you
normalize until it is small enough to still have meaning. once
everything is deconstructed you add rules (validations) your data must
adhere to. having done that you start to put it back together using
joins.

in couchdb this pattern doesn't work very well, at least not for us.
we learned it is easier to put as much data together in one document
as possible. my rule of thumb of when to stop is in distribution. i
often ask myself 'do i want to keep this together when i move it to
another database?' once you have your documents views are very
convenient to take your documents apart.

a database in couchdb is the place where work comes together, in our
case this is the location where a group of people shares. combining
information from different databases will be necessary. and i really
have no clue yet how to approach this problem. so anyone?

today i found myself in a sort of discussion with jchris and jan (i am
sorry for the other jchris' and jans, but everyone knows who i mean.)
guys, what i mean to say is that i am happy with your work. but your
work is very very important to me. i think my work along with all the
work of your users is what is going to make this movement great. if
you help us succeed, you will have what you want.

(the reason i sent it to both lists is that i think this 'couchdb way'
of working is something that is not the problem of use OR development.
it is necessary to make everyone work together and find out where
couchdb's future lies.)

groet,
jurg.