couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Zachary Zolton <zachary.zol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: javascript user library
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:36:01 GMT
The general consensus is that this problem is more easily solved
through templating/macros in your application code.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM, dmi <losthost@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Hi, All!
>
> I would like to suggest some way to have library functions in the javascript (or other)
views.

> Currently, if I have some structured entries and a bunch of "library" functions to peek
values from them, which are highly used in many views, I have two possible ways:

> 1. to include the library functions in the each view;
> 2. to patch couchdb's main.js and to include the library in it.
>
> Both ways are ugly, imho...
>
> I realize, it would be cool to have, say, "/_library/libname" document with the library
body.
> And to have the optional parameter 'library' in the view's definition:
>
> {'map': 'function body', 'reduce': 'function body', 'library': ['libname', ....]}
>
> so when couchdb pass the view's functions to the view server it will pass not only 'add_fun',
but also 'add_lib' command with the library body to evaluate in the view execution environment.