couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Cluster/Partition GSoC
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 05:41:29 GMT
Thanks for the suggestions, Chris.
Link is still here:
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/user/rleeds/couchdb_cluster

I can't seem to access the edit page for the official proposal submission
right now. I get an error.
However, I've done some updates. At this point, I'm hoping that you or
Damien might consider picking this up and decide to endorse it and become a
mentor. Then it's up to the foundation and Google!

Either way, I want to be involved in this work :)

Cheers,
Randall

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 16:30, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:

> From the proposal:
> > 2. Fast http proxy writen in Erlang which leverages the consistent hash
> for determining destinations
>
> You might find it simpler to use Erlang messaging instead of http in
> the proxy layer. I'm not certain about this but it might end up
> simpler and faster in the long run. There are arguments in favor of
> http, so I'd say the choice is yours, but keep in mind someone will
> eventually attempt the other way, no matter which you chose.

Yeah, this is what I had in mind after we talked and I wrote this wrong.

> > August 10 - Submit patches for review, discussion and polishing
>
> I think it would make for a smoother process if you attempt to
> integrate as you go. It'll mean identifying the smallest useful chunks
> of work, to get us from here to there, but it's also the open-source
> way, and I think it results in better code. Nothing like having what
> you're working on being used in real applications.
>
> Can you identify the very first step? - maybe it's an integration test
> in JavaScript that proves that three dbs (on one host) can have
> document ids partitioned correctly. (I think a core thing here is
> getting the right validation functions on the right db's, so they
> reject bad PUTs)

I finally got around to a crack at adding some JS test examples.
I'd like to add some examples about querying partition setup, etc, but then
again, that might just be in the _design doc. There are so many questions
unsettled still that I feel like what I added is probably enough to get a
feel for it.