couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Document update notifications
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 18:44:21 GMT
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Devendra Gera <gera@theoldmonk.net> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to review the patch.
>
> On Wed, 08 Apr 2009, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> Gera,
>>
>> That looks like a solid patch, but unfortunately I think that the
>> comet notification will end up superseding the functionality. The
>> basic ideas of the comet framework are to post a JavaScript function
>> to the server to allow clients to filter db updates. I'm pretty sure
>> this is under active development so stay tuned for updates.
>
> Would the comet notifications supersede the (currently implemented) db
> update notifications as well? Are there any estimates as to when that
> would come around.

Pretty sure the idea is to replace the current system's functionality.
I'm not sure if that means update_notification will go away or not,
but from what I gather on the expected use cases it'll be a "new code
should use comet" type of situation. As far as estimates, I'm not
sure. I don't have too much knowledge on the current status, just that
there was work being done on some necessary bits. Keep an eye on dev@
and you'll be up to date as things start building up.

> I guess, what I'm trying to ask is that does the patch make sense as in
> interim solution?

If you mean in trunk, I'm not sure but I doubt it. If for no other
reason than if we added such a feature to trunk it'd be a signal that
we intend to support it for a very long time when we're already acting
on plans to replace it.

> If not, we'll just keep using the patch internally (and offer it
> out-of-tree) while waiting for the superseding functionality.
>
> Thanks,
> --gera.

HTH,
Paul Davis