couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Wout Mertens <wout.mert...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Review DBs
Date Sun, 26 Apr 2009 20:50:12 GMT
On Apr 22, 2009, at 8:31 PM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:

> Hi Zachary, something like that.  The more I think about the problem
> the more I converge on a solution like what Wout has proposed.  Some
> quick thoughts:
>
> * Remapping the output of a map isn't terribly useful.  All the
> power is in remapping the output of a reduction.

That's the conclusion I came to as well. I actually had that worked
out as first but I saw that by eliminating it, the implementation
became simpler. Of course, I didn't know that CouchDB kept the list of
keys that a document emits, so I'm reworking my proposal.

> * Incremental generation of some complex multi-MR view still
> requires persisting the output of each step individually, even if
> you're only interested in the final result.  At least, I don't yet
> see a clever way around it.

Me neither :-) Actually, I wonder how CouchDB handles _temp_views;
those must be persistent as well, in order for paging to work, no?

> * Dumping the output of the first MR(s) into a Review DB is an easy
> way to take advantage of code that's already written, but it's a bit
> wasteful.  We could just take the results directly from the view
> btree(s) and send them to the next step in the workflow.

Well with my proposal I was hoping that someone would step forward and
say "you can store these key/value pairs as a view index, no
problem!" :)

> * I'm not yet sold on the HTTP API in Wout's proposal.  I think I'd
> prefer to keep the existing API, and in the _design doc specify the
> full workflow required to generate a given view.

Hmmm... That could also work... It certainly makes for shorter URLs. I
was thinking that chunking the URL up like that in _review/_view/
_review it provides a lot of flexibility in view generation. However,
I see your point, there's no need for such flexibility. If multiple
_review/_view combinations are needed, they can just as well be listed
out specifically and CouchDB would take care not to duplicate indexes
where appropriate (like views).

So the first example would be

    http://couchdb/db/_design/myblog/_view/tags_by_count

with the tags_by_count view defined as (for example)

   "inputs":["tagcount"]
   "map":"function(doc) { emit(doc.value,doc.key); }"

and tagcount of course being

   "map":"function(doc) { for (var i in doc.tags) { emit(i, 1); }"
   "reduce":"function(k,v,r) { return sum(v); }"

You're right, that is better.

Wout.