couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: Erlang vs Scala
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:21:50 GMT
I would imagine Scala is interesting for those with an existing
commitment to a large legacy base of Java code. However it's Erlang
features are bolted on after the fact rather than built in from the
ground up. I'm reminded of the ancient chinese expression that one
can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear :)

As languages go, Erlang is a functional language and so like Haskell,
Lisp, etc.. it's not clear that it will ever be more than a niche
language. Used well it can become a differentiator. Not including
Mochiweb, CouchDB is still a fairly small piece of code considering
what it does. I suspect were it written in Java there would likely be
about 10 times the amount of code.

One of the sweet things about CouchDB is that an average web
developer with good Javascript skills can use it quite productively
with little or no Erlang skills. Perhaps this is less true now but
certainly will be after 1.0

Thanks for the link, I think it summarizes the differences well.

Cheers,

Bob