couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Wout Mertens <wout.mert...@gmail.com>
Subject Erlang vs Scala
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:12:54 GMT
Hi everyone,

I've always been worried about the fact that CouchDB runs on Erlang.
After all, the Erlang ecosystem isn't that large or well-established
in (non-telephony) enterprise settings.

That's why, when I read about Scala, my interest was piqued. Scala is
Java with adaptations to make it scale. Adaptations mostly nicked from
Erlang, no less. On top of that, Scala compiles to JVM bytecode, so
that it's "entreprise-compatible". In our company, the preferred
application is Java based, because the deployment teams understand it
and know how to manage JVM farms.

So I began to wonder if it wouldn't be better for CouchDB to be
written in Scala.

Here's a link I found comparing Erlang and Scala:

    http://yarivsblog.com/articles/2008/05/18/erlang-vs-scala/

After reading the blogpost I was thinking "maybe not" but after the
comments, I'm not so sure any more.

So I'm wondering what everybody here thinks.

Wout.