couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From kowsik <kow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Erlang vs Scala
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 05:30:22 GMT
I'm curious, what part of the stdlib (OTP) does Couch actually use and
what exactly about the Erlang VM is special? I, personally, am pretty
comfortable with a wide array of languages (Erlang excluded for now)
and to me the conceptual idea of persistent BTree's with map/reduce
over stdin/stdout to view servers matters way more than what language
it's written in currently. It's exactly why I chose to write the
CouchDB emulator in JavaScript and also why I'm super comfortable
working with CouchDB. I never see or encounter Erlang. All I see,
functionally, is REST + JS and I can extrapolate the inner workings
from there.

While I'm not necessarily advocating CouchDB to be rewritten in
another language, I am wondering the choice of Erlang over other more
"prevalent" languages. Given the time I have at hand, I definitely
don't see myself contributing a lot in Erlang, though I could help in
the view server that's in JavaScript.

Thoughts?

K.