couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Erlang vs Scala
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:24:56 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 7, 2009, at 10:30 PM, kowsik <kowsik@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious, what part of the stdlib (OTP) does Couch actually use and
> what exactly about the Erlang VM is special?

The stdlib is important, but I think being a functional language is
what actually matters.

It makes it simple to do all the things we do while keeping the memory
footprint small, for one thing.

Personally I like Erlang because it is easy to reason about. Obj
oriented behavior is great for domain models, but for infrastructure
stuff functional langs are a pretty good fit, for a variety of reasons.